Thursday, June 13, 2013

Iraqi Green Rice

I found that my husband and I really enjoy Mideastern food.  I made my own version of Iraqi Rice or what they call Green Rice. The following recipe was inspired by Israeli Kitchen, lots of great stuff on their blog. My version is milder than theirs and I changed up some of the seasonings and how I cook it. You might like to try their version too. Iraqi Green Rice typically has fresh herbs but all I had was dried. It still came out great and I would definitely have it again. I was pretty disappointed when I looked in the pot and it was all gone.

Don't get put off by the dill. It really is good in this. This dish would go well with lamb, chicken, or a mild fish. Hope you give it a try. I really think you will enjoy it.



1 cup of uncooked Jasmine or Basmati rice, rinsed
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium to large onion, chopped
1 tsp cardamom
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp sea salt
2 tsp dill or 2 Tbsp fresh chopped
5 tsp parsley or 5 Tbsp fresh chopped
1 1/2 cup water

Add all the ingredients, except the water, to a medium sauce pan, toss to combine and coat the rice. Add the water, cover with a tight fitting lid and bring to a boil over medium heat. As soon as it comes to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 25 mins. Remove from the heat and allow to set for 3 to 5 minutes covered. Gently mix and serve.

Notes: If you have the time, you could caramelize the onions in an additional tablespoon or two of olive oil. Then follow the instructions as normal. This will add a real kick of extra flavor.

Print Friendly and PDFPrintPrint Friendly and PDFPDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. I would love to hear from you. Please keep it positive and kind. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...